During our radio show, Vincent called asking how to associate files with programs…
How to change which program starts when you double-click a file in Windows XP
1. Open My Computer or Windows Explorer, right-click a file for which you want to change the program that opens that file type, and then use either of the following methods to change which program starts:
• Click Open With to choose the program that you want.
• Point to Open With, and then click Choose Program to choose the program that you want.
2. Notice that theOpen With dialog box appears. Use one of the following methods to select the program that you want to use to open this kind of file:
• In the Programs list, click the program that you want.
• Click Browse, locate and then click the program that you want to use, and then click OK.
• Click Look for the appropriate program on the Web to browse the Internet for the program that you want.
3. Click to select the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box if it is not already selected.
4. Click OK.
From now on, Windows XP will open all files that have this file name extension in the associated program. (To change this, follow these steps again and associate a different program with this file name extension.)
This article contains more information about how to create file associations for a file types that are not associated with a program…